Thursday, September 27, 2012

This very car started my love affair with Cadillac and GT Transport returned all 19’ with all the care the “King of the Fin” deserves.









I must have been 12 years old when I first saw this 1959 Cadillac. It was my best friend Rob’s grandfathers. Grandpa Behm own and ran the local Creamery, Behm’s Valley Creamery. This family business sold Milk, Cheese, and made fantastic locally renowned ice-cream at their small plant just outside of Spokane Washington. This very car started my love affair with Cadillac and GT Transport returned all 19’ with all the care the “King of the Fin” deserves.
My fist Caddy was a 1969 Coupe De Ville that was sold to me by my boss at the time. It must have been 25 years ago or more. I am not sure how he came to own it. It was dull sun baked white exterior, red vinyl roof and red velvet (yep) diamond tuck and roll interior. I paid $1000.00 for it. The body was straight with all the chrome. A high mileage car, she smoked a little and sputtered, and after some minor work and some Meguairs paint restoration products she sure turned some heads. In 1992 I purchased my first true collectors caddy, a 1971 4 door Sedan Deville. She was a very low mileage car very close to concurs. Basically a factory fresh showroom condition yellow behemoth that required lots of wax and interior cleaners weekly to keep her like new. Although not really flashy, this car was very, very close to perfect. During my first home purchase I failed to measure a garage for Caddy fit, forcing me to work something out with the Arnold Palmer Cadillac dealership in Charlotte NC (you just can’t store a car like that outside). I traded the 71 straight up for an 85 or 86 spring edition Sedan Deville. Dark blue paint, cloth roof, sun roof, blue leather interior, and all the chrome was gold color. That car became my daily driver. I don’t know when or where for sure but I think I sold big blue for a Minivan to accommodate my son’s Boy Scout troupes and soccer teams.



 Christian Sokoll,

All Photo Credits © Rob Behm Valley Studio

1 comment:

  1. Christian Sokoll,
    Thanks for allowing us the opportunity to be of service!

    ReplyDelete